Syel (Sky or Heaven in Kreyol)

This week I’ve gotten to spend probably 1-2 hours in the late afternoon laying in the hammock or sitting on the porch.
I think this is the way life was back in the day, sitting on the porch and visiting with neighbors. What has happened to this? Let me tell you, it’s awesome.
My day does not feel complete if I do not watch the sunset.
Every day it’s beautiful, breath-taking, and completely different. Every day God paints a picture in the sky and beckons us to stop, to still ourselves, and appreciate the show He is putting on for us.
Same with the thunderstorms around here. They are magnificent displays of God’s power and majesty. I can just see him waving his hand and a huge lightning bolt darts across the sky followed by a thunderclap. One thing I noticed while watching a thunderstorm is the lightning is so bright that I have to close my eyes as a result. How magnificent. How wonderful and powerful. Awe.

In the states I remember appreciating a sunset but usually from my car driving home. Now when I’m in the states I do silly things like climb to the top floor of parking garages at my friend’s apartment to be able to watch the sunset and appreciate the beauty.

What happened to stillness in our culture? What happened to appreciating the beauty of God’s nature on a daily basis?

I don’t know when I’ll have another season of this much stillness, quiet, reflection, peace. I’m trying to fight the voices in my head that say ‘go work,’ ‘shouldn’t you be doing something?’ ‘to-do list,’ ‘go make other people happy’ and I’m trying to listen to the “I love you,” “be still,” “Rest in me.” And honestly I’m finding that I’m much more at peace all the time, in my daily interactions, in the frustrating situations, in the hard decisions; I’m more peaceful and calm, less frantic and crazy and ‘needing to be productive’ and it’s a really beautiful thing.




He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.”
Psalm 46:10

Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let the sea resound, and all that is in it.
Let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them; let all the trees of the forest sing for joy.
Psalm 96:11-12

The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Psalm 19:1

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
Romans 1:20

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"This is Haiti"

Deborah

Haitian Ladies