Duckenson

Everyone in a foreign country needs a Duckenson.
Duckenson has been my 'right hand man' since day 1.
I don't know if 'right-hand man' is the right phrase.
Duckenson is a friend, a deeply committed friend, and my Haitian brother.

Duckenson has been with me since the beginning. Since I didn't know a lick of Kreyol. When I knew painfully little about missions. When I didn't know how to help without hurting. When I didn't know how to communicate or cultural norms (that's still a struggle).
Duckenson drove me around Haiti for the first 6 months I was here. Duckenson has lived through me asking someone 'Do you have to poop?' instead of 'Do you have a bathroom?' -- yes that was just a few days ago... : /
Duckenson has been around for tears, anger, loneliness, pain, and oh the frustration.
I don't know what expats/humanitarians/missionaries do without the Duckenson's and Charly's of the world.
I have so much to be thankful for. I would do anything for these Haitian brothers and they would do anything for me. And it certainly tends to be them helping me more than me helping them even though I'd prefer it be the other way around.

I had a frustrating experience yesterday. I made a decision and some people didn't like it. They turned it into a personal attack from me which was not the intention or the reality.
Six months ago (or 3 months ago) I would've been upset, very critical of myself, angry, tearful, and 'I messed everything up again-- why can't I get it right in this country?!'
I'm not saying I didn't feel any of those things BUT this time, I addressed the situation, had a conversation, and did my best to make things right without beating myself up or compromising my own position (which was not wrong).
I was talking to Duckenson about the situation which he was a part of and he said:
'Rachel, if everyone likes you, somethings wrong... and if everyone dislikes you, something is wrong. Do what you need to do and stick by it. Not everyone is going to like it.'

Wow. He was so right. So clear. Duckenson is evolving into this leader and it's incredible to watch.
Thank you Ducke.  You're right. This is simple.

And you know what? I was so much less affected by this tough situation than I would've been in the past. The name calling and finger pointing and the 'you're an insensitive blanc that just doesn't get it' didn't cut like it used to.

Duckenson, my brother, there are no words to say thank you for who God has created you to be. I pray God gives me opportunities to bless you a fraction of how much you've blessed me.


Comments

  1. Wow!
    This gave me chill bumps!
    I love you and him.
    I thank God for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"This is Haiti"

Deborah

Haitian Ladies