Distraction

When I'm in America this is the word I often feel: distracted.
People ask me about the differences between Haiti and the US. It's hard to sum up in a few sentences. Because Haiti is so tragically impoverished and broken. And yet, they are not nearly as distracted as we are. I think America is impoverished (in spirit) and broken, just in different ways.
We're distracted by our phones, by our cars, by our Sonic & Starbucks, entertainment, shopping, schedule and to-do list and the chasing of all the things our society tells us we should seek and acquire.

In Haiti the distractions are taken away. The hustle and bustle is taken away. The internet is slow. I don't leave the compound on a daily basis. The electricity turns off and there's not much to do. I'm forced (and I've learned to embrace) sitting and resting and looking at the mountains over Port au Prince. (I actually get very disappointed now if I don't stop and watch the sunset each evening).

In America I'm struck by this concept called shopping where we make sport of going to several different stores to look for things we don't actually need and often times end up buying things we don't need or not buy anything at all. And we leave. And we drive. In our cars that only priviledged famillies have in Haiti. And I was struck by something when leaving Marshall's with my mom. I don't feel any happier when I leave the store. I don't feel happier from the exorbidant amount of choices we are presented in every store in the US. I actually feel confused and indecisive about the options.

In Haiti there are very few shopping options. If you're an average, non-wealthy Haitian, you shop for local goods at street markets that are dirty and dusty according to American standards. You can choose from fresh fruits and vegetables to meats to sandals and clothes to electronics. If you're wealthy, you have the option of going to a 'normal' grocery store which have expensive imported groceries. But a normal Haitian doesn't have options and doesn't have disposable income to spend on Sonic, Starbucks, the movies, or strolling through Marshall's. Many days putting food on the table is a struggle. And no, not because they are lazy or impotent but because poverty sucks, is a cycle, is complex, and often created by the powers that be.

But what Haiti does have is simplicity. Living simply and simply living. It really is a beautiful thing. It's not this rat race of 'busyness' which we've turned into a war medal.. "Oh I'm SO busy with job, corporate ladder, extra-curriculars, church, working out, eating, cooking, friends, serving, etc. etc. etc." None of those things are bad things.... but the sum of them can easily get out of control. And if I'm honest, my life easily gets out of control with the busyness when I live in America full time.

I started listening to "Present not Perfect" by Shauna Niequist this week. She talks about getting too busy and being miserable and working through all the things that go along with changing the busyness. I'm learning the same lessons just in a different way, through Haiti. Haiti is teaching me how to be present, how to relax and rest, how to enjoy the simplicities of life, how to love well, set boundaries, be seen and see. It's beautiful and beautifully complex.

A wise man once told me that 'home' is not a place here on earth but is eternity.
A wise woman (my counselor) told me recently that peace is not a place but something that comes from God.

I'll keep meditating on these concepts as I travel throughout this earth and this life...until I am perfectly at peace in the presence of our Father for all eternity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"This is Haiti"

Deborah

Haitian Ladies