Opened Eyes

My eyes have been opened.
And there's no going back.
There's no more 'fitting in' to the world as I knew it...
my world as I knew it.
And it's scary and terrifying
and liberating.

There's no unseeing the poverty of the world
and moving back to the states doesn't make the suffering in the world disappear.

It's often too much to bear
good thing it's not my job to carry it

But I'm thrilled and privileged to be part of the solution
to be doing something
to be contributing
to be leading and loving
to be... just be
to be doing the most purposeful work of my life
to be learning (oh so much learning)
to be living out the calling I've felt since childhood

The experiences in our life shape us
We have the opportunity to learn in any situation
and boy is this shaping me
and man am I soaking in all I can
growth can be hard and painful
but oh so beautiful

My eyes have been opened
God give me the strength to keep them open
give me the compassion to face each day
give me the grace and love needed
and give me humor in the hardship

God don't let my eyes be closed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"This is Haiti"

Deborah

Haitian Ladies