Stand Firm

Ephesians 6 informs us to "stand firm" and when we've done all we can do (armor ourselves), then to stand firm.

That's where I'm at right now.

I feel like I've been hit in every which way. Spiritual warfare, bad dreams, discouragement, family troubles, oppression, organizational difficulties, secondary trauma of all we see and hear around here, the day to day turmoil in haiti- the main bridge we take to drive collapsing, locals being murdered, observing judgement and condemnation within the missionary community...it's almost too much to bear. It's heavy... on top of the day to day heaviness here.

I feel the weight of that heaviness.. for myself, for my friends, for this community, for this country. And yet, God doesn't call me to carry that by myself. He doesn't call me to carry that at all.

  28“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. 29“Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS30“For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”  Matthew 11:28-30

But what do I do? How do I fight and battle when I am so knocked down? 

How do we heal from the pain we experience in Haiti, in the states, in our families, and circumstances?

These are the questions I am asking right now.
There's so much going on right now in all aspects of my life that I don't know how to feel. Sometimes I cry, laugh, pout, lay in bed, stay busy, exercise, eat, all of it. 

John Piper uses Romans 8:32 to explain that "God strips every pain of destructive power. You must believe this or you will not thrive, or perhaps even survive as a Christian, in the pressures and temptations of modern life. 
There is so much pain, so many setbacks and discouragements, so many controversies and pressures. I do not know where I would turn if I did not believe that almighty God is taking every setback and every discouragement and every controversy and every pressure and every pain, and stripping it of its destructive power, and making it work for the enlargement of my joy in God." (emphasis mine)
http://solidjoys.desiringgod.org/en

He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Romans 8:32

God I don't know how to heal me, but you do. 

Today was Lulu's 2nd birthday. There are 5 children that live in the house I live in. It was an evening of celebration and joy. Reginald (3 years old) was in his typical get-up of a long sleeve baby onesy as a top and shorts (with no underwear). He wanted me to pick him up and he just hugged my neck tonight. Okay, God. This is healing. I'll take it. Thank you.

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place,15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. 19Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.

Lulu (birthday girl) in upper left corner; Lulu and Reginald in other photos. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"This is Haiti"

Deborah

Haitian Ladies