One of Those Days

In case there was the perception that life around here is hugging and singing with orphans that come and visit the clinic ; ) ... here's a comical (hopefully) recollection of a day in the life of me.

Scene:
My alarm went off at 4:45am in Fort Lauderdale, Florida at a 2 star hotel called the "Red Carpet Inn" that cost me $137 for the night because it's cruise ship season and a conference was in town. 
#winning
I got out of bed and showered which would be my last hot shower for a while. I even blow dried my hair. #doublewinning. 
I packed up my bag for the 3rd time with it's 44 pounds of glory full of chocolate, gifts for others and all things you can buy at Wal Mart and can't find in Haiti. 
I headed downstairs for the 'hotel shuttle' that leaves promptly at 6am. My international flight was 7:15am so I was already cutting it close. But come on, the whole reason I booked the hotel was for the hotel shuttle!

When I came downstairs to check out of my room and catch the shuttle, I encountered a high strung lady going on a 'medical mission' (I can only imagine she's going to Haiti...). She was flitting back and forth between the shuttle and the front desk, anticipating every possible problem we may encounter in the next 30 minutes.

I kindly approached the shuttle driver and explained I had an international flight at 7:15 and asked if it would at all be possible to go to my terminal first. He said he would be at terminal 4 (my terminal) last. Alright. Uber it is. I'll let the crazy missionary lady and the rest of the crew head to the airport and have their fun.

I thought Uber was a great idea... until it wasn't. My uber driver was circling the address as seen on the uber app. I called him. He had the wrong address.. no doubt thanks to my super cheap 'go phone' plan that I use when I'm stateside. By this time, I'M the crazy missionary that is slightly freaking out. Don't be a crazy person, Rachel.  By the time the uber driver arrived it was about 6:20 or so.. and I had a 7:15am flight. Jesus take the wheel. He was a very kind man and didn't deserve my crazy. I tried to be nice. 

I got to the airport and immediately noticed the out of control lines at the Spirit airlines desk. I jumped in the shortest line. I hopped up to the counter and apologized excessively for being late. The agent asked for proof of my return to the US. Proof of my.. what? She explained to me that customs rules dictate that I must have proof that I'll be leaving the country. 
I have to have proof that I'm leaving HAITI!? Good God, I promise I'll be back within two months.. if I don't lose my mind before then. 
I calmly explained to her that this is my 5th time going to and from Haiti and I have never had this problem before. I kindly asked her what I could do to make this work?
By an act of God, she let me check into the flight. ... it's like 6:45 or so by now. I sprinted to security, begged my way through security, and sprinted to the gate with the lady overhead calling for "Kristine Zimmerman." Phew. Made it. Breathe.

I landed in Haiti to discover that my Digicel (Haiti cell service) SIM card was not in-service, thus I couldn't communicate with any of my friends on the ground. Luckily I walked out to find Duckenson in his usual spot... except he had been there for 2 hours waiting for me. Poor Ducke (the miscommunication was not on my part, luckily). 

I got home to the clinic in full swing. I put my bags in my room and made my way to the clinic to say hello to everyone. I figured out how to make payroll and distribute it to the staff, several of which were unhappy. I had probably 4 employees come up to me requesting meetings or 'crucial conversations' as I tend to refer to them. I'm getting better at these.. but still... who loves crucial conversations? Not me.

By the time it was 3:30pm all I wanted to do was curl up in bed.. in my rather hot room. (I slept maybe 4 hours the night before). Sue suggested we go for a walk around 4pm. Alright Rachel, get out of bed, go for a walk, you'll feel better. So I got up, went to change clothes and discovered that the devlish ants had decided to attack my clean underwear and sports bras while I was out of country for a week. Very fun figuring that out...

This is Haiti.... slash this is my life. I wouldn't have it any other way.. except for those days that I really want a Starbucks latte. ; ) 

Thank the Lord (seriously) for His grace and mercy for me every day ... but especially on these days. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"This is Haiti"

Deborah

Haitian Ladies