Wanted: Brave People

I've decided one of the most needed attributes in cross-cultural work or 'on the mission field' is bravery, courage.
To step up, to show up, each and every day. Whether that's showing up to lead a medical clinic, to deliver a baby, to go get groceries, to leave your home takes courage.
Because living in a foreign country as a foreigner, there are many assumptions that are made based on the color of my skin.
In Haiti, there are a few things assumed of me:

1. I'm rich
2. I am educated
3. I haven't worked very hard for anything in my life
(These are generalizations for a reason and do not apply to each individual Haitian's thinking)
4. I want to help and am able to help...or give a handout
(DISCLAIMER: some of the above is true. I am rich in the world's standards. I am educated. I do want to help. I have worked for things in my life but I have been afforded incredible opportunities based on where I was born, into what socioeconomic class, and the color of my skin).

A long time ago I was going for a walk in a nice neighborhood in Port au Prince. I was with two other missionary acquaintances and we walked by a woman in her 60's and I greeted her with a friendly 'Bonswa.' She said hello in English and conversed in English. She asked if we loved haiti. We all said yes and emphasized we love haiti so much we are here serving Haiti. The nature of the interaction changed quickly and she responded with a very cutting 'you are making money off the backs of Haitians!' Wow, I thought. How are we ever going to get through to the people we are serving if this is the assumption?

Have there been Americans/Canadians/ Western Europeans that have made money off the backs of Haitians in this country? I'm sure.
But the reality is the vast majority of the 22,000 Americans here aren't making money off the backs of Haitians. I would argue that the majority of missionaries are here serving and often raising their own support (from their country of origin) to live and serve here.

Are there bad Westerns here? Child predators, ignorant folks, people perpetuating the cycle of the breakdown of the family, well meaning people doing the wrong thing? Yes. Are there others that see a need and respond to it prayerfully and the best way they know possible? Lots of them.

I have met some of the most amazing expats in Haiti. I am in awe of the wonderful people that have a heart for Haiti and end up here.

It takes courage. It takes bravery to be a single white woman here. It's a paternalistic society. Women aren't greatly respected and appreciated as a cultural value (are there exceptions to this? yes, of course). Try having a serious conversation about salary with a serious Haitian medical director who is a medical doctor and has years of experience on you. A bit intimidating.

Sometimes I feel like I was made for this. Lots of times I feel like I'm failing miserably.

It takes courage to show up and be you, be culturally sensitive, and to not totally crumble at the asks and expectations that are put on you daily. To lead something, to lead people.

I speak the language much better than I used to (still not great) and I still can't make it through a new situation without getting taken advantage of. I negotiate hard, I do all the Haitian things I'm supposed to do, and I still buy 3 necklaces for 500 gourdes at the Citadel instead of buying them at 100 gourdes each which is what they're supposed to be (max). (More on tourism in Haiti in another blog).

It takes courage to show up and love. To love despite the fact that you feel like an unloved failure. To love in the midst of the hard seasons your Haitian and expat friends are going through. To love even when people wrong you and take advantage of you.

We need brave ones here. We need folks who know themselves and know the God that created them. We need people who are emotionally in-tune and intelligent. We need people who are willing to show up, be brave, practice courage, make mistakes, LEARN FROM THEM, say sorry, be different, be changed, and in the midst of it all care for their own heart and soul.

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Thank you
    for being brave.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"This is Haiti"

Haitian Ladies

Deborah